Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.



Monday, May 25, 2009

Herb Recipes


Hope you're having a nice holiday weekend. Ours has been very relaxing. Went out to eat, did some gardening, played Settlers of Catan, caught up on sleep, worked around the house a bit, and I got my MomAudience.com email ready to send out tomorrow. But that's not work to me - I love it!

Last week I told you I'd post some recipes using herbs. I haven't tried the herb vinaigrette, but the others are among my favorites. We made our first batch of mint tea last night - unbelievably refreshing! Let the summer begin!


Herb Vinaigrette

"Fill cruet one-third full of olive oil. Add an equal amount of vinegar (red or white wine vinegar). Gently bruise a two-inch herb sprig of thyme, oregano, or basil. Salt and pepper to taste. Close container and shake vigorously to meld flavors. Since herbs vary in strength, taste before serving and add additional sprigs as needed." (from Better Homes and Gardens, March 2009, p 20.)


Mint Tea (with no tea)

I know I shared this recipe before, but it's worth repeating. I collect a generous handful comprised of both spearmint and peppermint leaves. After rinsing off the leaves, I pour boiling water over them in a mug. Or microwave leaves in a mug of water for a minute. I let it steep - the longer the better - and add about 3/8 to 1/2 cup of sugar for 1/2 gallon. It's so refreshing in hot weather! We take it to drink when we play tennis - far more refreshing than water.


Salsa (from my friend Julie Bethea Stoll)

8 c. tomatoes, chopped, seeded (I use grape tomatoes)
1 1/2 t. chili powder

1 1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 t. cumin

handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
3 t. chopped garlic (from jar)

juice from 1/2 lime

Put onion and cilantro in small chopper. Mix with tomatoes, juice and spices. Serve with tortilla chips or with Mexican food. For a little more heat, add dried red pepper flakes - carefully - they pack a lot of heat!


Bruschetta
(adapted from recipe from Sweet’est Grape Tomatoes package
)

1 pint grape tomatoes cut in quarters
¼ cup black pitted olives, slices
1/3 cup stuffed green olives, sliced
¼ cup minced parsley
1 t. minced garlic (from jar)
1/3 sweet onion, finely minced
1 T. virgin olive oil
½ T. balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Taste and correct seasoning if needed. Let stand at room temperature about 30 minutes. Serve over grilled sliced Italian or French bread. Slice bread about ¾ inches thick.

The last three recipes are included in the Three Steps to Planning Dinner workbook, which includes my favorite recipes.


Other Herb Recipes:
Organizing Your Herb Garden, Part 3 - Using Your Herbs
Dinner in 10 - Herbed Tilapia
Papaya salsa with swordfish
Cook a turkey!

Email readers comment here.

No comments: