As part of our series on 5-minute stress relievers, we'll look at aromatherapy today.
So what is the big deal about aromatherapy? Is this just a scam? I recently read an article about the research done on the effects of scents on our moods and behavior. Here's a portion:
"Aromatherapy science has shown that aromatherapy can strongly and quickly effect mood and behavior. Researchers recently discovered that the introduction of natural scents like lavender and vanilla can significantly reduce anxiety and distress in at least some scenarios. These positive outcomes in aromatherapy science may spell great news for people who are looking for an affordable, easy way to relax both in crisis situations and in everyday life."
Here are a few quick things we can do to create wonderful scents, thereby reducing stress:
- Light a scented candle.
- Buy yourself some flowers and enjoy their aroma each time you walk by.
- Warm some scented oil. Make your own by adding cooking extracts to oil.
- Spray a favorite fragrance.
- Simmer cinnamon, cloves and orange peel.
- Apply your favorite scented lotion.
- Make yourself a vanilla steamer - heat milk and add a dash of vanilla.
- Put a drop of aromatherapy oil in the space above your lip and below your nose.
- Open a new bag of potpourri.
- Make some mint tea from fresh mint leaves or tea bags. Serve hot or iced.
More on stress relievers:
5-Minute Stress Relievers - Spiritual Refocusing
5-Minute Stress Relievers - Organizing and Cleaning
5-Minute Stress Relievers - Physical Activity