Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
In my opinion, telemarketing wastes my time. Even though we are on the Do Not Call list, we still get calls from non-profits. I gather that non-profits can only call those who have given to them, but we get calls from others - especially medical and police/fire groups it seems.
Yesterday during lunch, we received two such calls, five minutes apart. Thankfully we have caller ID, but it still interrupted our lunch twice by having to go look at the phone.
I know we've talked about a couple of these lists that reduce these annoying sources of clutter before, but here it is in one place:
1) Opt Out Prescreen is a centralized service to accept and process requests from consumers to "Opt-In" or “Opt-Out” of firm offers of credit or insurance.
This is a joint venture among Equifax Information Services, LLC, Experian Information Solutions, Inc., Innovis Data Solutions, Inc., and TransUnion, LLC (collectively the "Consumer Credit Reporting Companies").
Stop these offers for 5 years via phone by dialing 888-5 OPT-OUT (888-567-8688).
2) Catalog choice allows you to opt out of the catalogs of your choice.
3) Direct Marketing Association provides a variety of opt out options for consumer assistance. You will need to register online or download the form and mail it in.
4) The National Do Not Call List cuts down on telemarketing calls - 1-888.382.1222. You do not need this for cell phones.
5) Yellow Pages Goes Green allows you to opt out of both white page and yellow page phone books that are left at your door.
I use almost all of these (I haven't tried #3.). They have greatly reduced the irritations of unwelcome clutter coming into my house. (source: NAPO chat)
Get Organized Month 2009 - Opt Out of Phone Books
Life Lock - Protecting Your Identity
The Truth about Cell Phones and the National Do Not Call Registry