Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.
Thursday, September 17, 2009
I had a great time last night with a women's group in Brimfield, Ohio where I spoke on "How to Get 26 Hours out of Your Day." A fun bunch of women!
Well, I think this may be my last post on 5-Minute Stress Relievers. Remember when this all started when Melody Warnick did an interview with me for Woman's Day magazine? I'm briefly mentioned in her article which should appear in the November 17th edition.
Today, we're going to talk about changing our attitudes, perhaps the most difficult stress reliever of all! This must be an intentional decision to move out of anger, frustration, hurt, etc. to a more peaceful attitude.
Here are some ideas:
1. Choose to forgive. That doesn't mean what the other person did was ok, but you are removing yourself from bondage to that person by forgiving. Otherwise, you are tied to that person and your bitterness grows.
2. Be thankful - count your blessings. It doesn't take long to look around and see someone whose life is so much worse than yours. Did you know that you can lift depression by naming things you're grateful for before dropping off to sleep? Studies show that this is more effective than counseling!
3. Think about those things you take for granted - air to breathe, sunshine, rain, etc.
4. Ask yourself how your current circumstance rates on a scale ranging from "it doesn't matter at all" to "it is life threatening." This creates context to your perspective.
5. Ask yourself if the situation at hand is worth ruining your day, your hour or your moment.
6. Figure out what is bothering you and how you can express it appropriately.
8. Change your habits. It's your choice if you handle anger inappropriately, for example. If your fuse is short, work on lengthening it by incorporating some of the above techniques and others.If you are overly sensitive, work on becoming more objective.
9. Laugh - it’s like a jog for your insides.
10. Pray - you are not in control of the universe or even your universe. Rely on the wisdom and love of the one who is.
How do you change your attitude? Subscribers click the title to comment on the original blog.
More on stress relievers:
5-Minute Stress Relievers - Spiritual Refocusing
Five Health Benefits of Laughter
5-Minute Stress Relievers - Taking a Mental Break