Hate to spend money on expensive cleaning products? Or you've run out of some of your favorite cleaning supplies and don't want to make a trip to the store? Here are a few ideas for substitutes:
- Smelly drains - to clean drains, pour a hot, strong solution of salt water down the drain (1/2 cup salt for every quart of water)
- To deodorize food containers and shoes, stuff a balled-up piece of newspaper into lunch boxes, thermoses, plastic food storage containers, and shoes. Let them sit overnight.
- Out of paper towels? Clean windows with coffee filters. They leave no lint or residue.
- Out of coffee filters? Use a couple of paper towels.
- Clean stainless steel with olive oil or a vinegar solution (half vinegar, half water).
- Use the above vinegar solution as a regular household cleaner. It's a disinfectant, and it's natural and safe around children. I keep mine in a spray bottle. Cheap, too - $2-3 per gallon!!
- Instead of caustic, abrasive cleaners, make a past of lemon juice and baking soda.
What are your clever cleaning tricks? I have a cleaning problem that stumps me - my coffee maker is silver but not stainless steel. Can't get rid of the opalescent spots. Any ideas?
More on clever cleaning:
A Perfect Solution to Organizing Your Housework
Three Steps to Clever Cleaning
Green Spring Cleaning with Vinegar