Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.



Monday, April 23, 2012

Gardening - Recycling, Repurposing

 
I planted my herb and tomato seeds a couple of days ago. We have a wonderful sun room at the front of our house, which will allow my seedlings to grow in an area that is warm enough.

I decided to recycle my cardboard egg crates and use them as my little planters rather than buy plastic starter kits. I planted basil, cilantro, dill, parsley and a couple of types of tomatoes.


I filled the egg crates with potting soil, put 3 or 4 seeds in each cavity. Then I covered the seeds with about 1/4 inch of potting soil, and watered.  




Next, I repurposed one of our boot trays upon which I placed my two egg cartons. Now I can water in my sun room without making a mess.




My seeds will take around three weeks to grow large enough to replant. I'll continue to keep the herbs indoors for ease of accessibility. We'll plant the tomatoes in the garden when the ground is warm enough. Can't wait until they grow! And I'm glad to have used things on hand rather than buy them. 

More on gardening:

Organizing Your Spring Garden

Tips from a Master Gardener - Watering, Mulch

Tip on Daffodils from my Master Gardener


No comments: