Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.



Friday, February 12, 2010

Don't Make the #1 Organizing Mistake


I'm organizing closets with a client today. During our last organizing appointment, she asked if she should go out and buy some organizing containers for her closet shelves.

No! Never! (I didn't say it quite like that!)

My philosophy is to organize first and buy organizing containers if needed. Many times we can repurpose items we already have when we want to containerize. My client has massive quantities of baskets in which she is losing interest. We might be able to repurpose some of those to house like items on her closet shelves.

Repurposing is a great way to use sentimental pieces you want to keep but don't use all the time. Your attic might be an organizing treasure trove! Even if the items don't match your current decorating scheme, you can use them in closets and drawers where they are not seen. You still have the comfort of having those things you love around you without interfering with your decor.

All that said, there is nothing wrong with going out and purchasing organizing containers. Some are so cute! I personally like to have matching or color-coordinated containers. But they can be pricey. You can make your own matching containers by covering boxes with wrapping paper. If you're on a tight budget, check out your local dollar store - they have a plethora of containers.

Your areas don't have to look like they were featured in a magazine in order to be organized! What matters is that it works for you.


More on closets:

Closet Mapping
Thinking Through Your Closets
Get Organized Month - Declutter Your Linen Closet



No comments: