Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.



Monday, September 14, 2009

Getting Organized for School - Planning Interesting Lunches


Happy Monday! Hope you had a nice weekend. We went to a corn maze at a farm, a movie, church, and swimming.

Did you think we have totally exhausted the topic of getting organized for school? I have a couple more ideas, one being...

Planning Interesting Lunches

Making lunches was never my favorite thing in the world to do. But when I did some planning, it made it a lot more interesting for me and for my girls!

I made a list of different options, so I would only have to think once! My aim was to provide variety and nutrition, so lunch would not be boring and would be eaten. Here are some of the things I came up with:

- peanut butter and banana sandwiches (the bananas would usually stay nice until lunch)

- peanut butter (in a container) with an apple or banana

- fluffy nutter sandwich (yes - I even did this occasionally - peanut butter with marshmallow creme)

- a bagel with cream cheese or peanut butter

- yogurt

- string cheese and crackers

- sliced cheddar, monterrey jack, or colby and crackers

- deli meat sandwiches on bagels, english muffins or bread

- cream cheese and olive sandwiches

- boiled eggs

- pistacchio nuts

- trail mix

- fresh fruit

- fresh veggies

I tried to be creative and put unusual things in their lunches that they liked - mangoes, kiwis, etc. Making interesting lunches was a little work, but it told my girls I loved them. And I wrote notes on their napkins, even through high school! (They said they liked it and all their friends wished they had similar lunches. If they had been embarrassed, I would have stopped!)

These days, green experts are saying to use foil and reusable containers for food and drinks - another thing to consider.

What do you put in your lunch or your kids' lunches?

5 comments:

Kim said...

alot of things I would like to put in their lunches aren't nut free so those can't go to school. So I find I am sometimes limited with what I can send = sometimes boring.

1-2-3...Get Organized said...

Nut allergies certainly puts a damper on things doesn't it? Anyone else have some ideas?

Kim said...

Our schools are nut free, so that is where options are limited. At home it is no problem :)

Anonymous said...

Great list only comment is that in most school these days you can't send any nut products. When my twins were in kindergarten their class was also designated it had to be egg free. Very challenging to pack kids lunches these days. Simple days of PB&J are gone.

Anonymous said...

As far as packing lunches I did get these great resuable food and beverage storage containers at Pottery Barn kids. We have used them for two years. Still can't send anything with nuts.. trail mix, PBJ, granola bars.. all not allowed due to school nut free policy.