Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.



Friday, February 27, 2009

Five Tips on Being Eco-Friendly and Saving Money at the Same Time


Just thought you’d like to know that I’m writing to you this morning on my new mac! My own personal geek (actually two of them!) came yesterday and transferred everything from my pc to my mac. I’m still learning and trying to figure things out - like what happened to this blog I wrote and thought I saved last night!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend! We’re going to spend it with our daughter Sara and some friends.


Five Tips on Being Eco-Friendly and Saving Money at the Same Time

Being green doesn’t have to be expensive. In fact, Nick over at Go Green and Save the World, suggests some ways that actually save us money! Here they are:

Turn things off - Sounds so simple, yet rarely done. You can save energy by simply flipping a switch. Try this for 30 days, start turning off appliances, lights, etc. when not in use and develop a new energy saving habit.

Take Shorter Showers - When showering, particularly log showers you are using several gallons of water. Obviously shorter showers use less than log luxurious showers. Even baths in a shallow tub is more efficient because you’re using a fixed amount of water.

Clean your Refrigerator Coils - If your refrigerator has coils on the back, once or twice a year you’ll need to turn your refrigerator off and to clean those coils. Cleaning those coils enables your refrigerator to operate more efficiently.

Put On a Sweater - Finding an optimal temperature is a challenge in itself, but reducing the thermostat a few degrees can reduce use as well as raising your temperature when cooling.

Wash Full Loads of Clothes in Cold Water - Most detergents work well with cold water have have specific detergents designed to work in cold water. Even if you wash with warm water, you’re saving more energy then if you were washing in hot water.

So there you have it, these few tips for environmentally friendly living can be done by anyone that wants to make a positive change for the environment. These small changes can make a big impact on the environment and impact the environment greatly.”

You might also want to check out their environmentally friendly shopping bags, which you can use for personal use or have printed for your business.

Speaking of going green Kare4Dogs commented on a green product for removing pet hair. " I recommend a Fur-Zoff. It is a "green" product as oppposed to the Pledge Fabric Sweeper. It also lasts forever and only costs $9.99. You can get one at http://www.furzoff.net"



What are you doing to be green? If you want to comment, this link will take you back to my blog.



Blogs on similar topics:

Earth Day Energy Tips

More Eco-Friendly Recycling

Getting Rid of Stuff While Saving the Environment




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a mac huh?! how cool! been thinking of one myself. what made you decide on it?

1-2-3...Get Organized said...

I chose a mac because I am fed up with my pc continually slowing down, freezing up, having to buy anti-virus programs ... is that enough? LOL

Even though my Dell is less than two years old and I had spent numerous hours of quality time with technical support, my problems were not getting solves after numerous tries. Our last resort was taking my computer back to the original manufacturer's date, losing everything.

I wasn't willing to do that. My geeks were able to transfer everything to my mac in a matter of a couple of hours and get me started. I love the speed and efficiency of the mac.

It's a Microsoft problem from what I've been told. Macs don't slow down, last a long time, and don't have viruses.

My daughters and son-in-law all rave about them and have used them for some time.