Welcome!

Thanks for visiting my blog. Hope you find some helpful hints for organizing your time and space. My passions are to help you make home a refuge instead of a crisis center, and to help you function in peace rather than chaos - at home or at work. I have switched my main blog to 1-2-3 ... Get Organized on WordPress, so please visit me there.



Friday, October 24, 2008

Dinner in 20 - Lime Chicken


When I plan my menus for our foster daughters every week, I look through my Hassle Free Dinners CD for recipe ideas. Many of the girls grew up in dysfunctional families with sad nutrition and consequently have very limited tastes.

Right now I have girls who don't like: tomatoes, mushrooms, chicken with bones, pears, apples, pork, fish, white cheese, spinach, celery, and the list goes on. You can imagine the challenge it is to fix dinner. I do make them try things at least once, and some of them have added some foods to their repertoir.

I hit on one recipe last week that was a success for the two houses of girls to whom I served it. It is from Week 36, the first week in September. I usually try to use recipes from the same season so side dishes use seasonal fruits and vegetables.

I adapted Lime Chicken and used chicken tenderloins instead of chicken thighs, so as not to offend my bone-hater. :-) I served it with steamed fresh green beans (I buy the kind that are already trimmed) seasoned with a little butter and garlic salt, rice (took longer than 15 minutes, but I cooked extra for the next day), and a fruit plate consisting of kiwi, raspberries, blackberries, and sliced hand-picked apples.

One week, one of the girls wanted to learn to cook something, so she helped me zest and juice the limes.

Lime Chicken (The amounts in parentheses refer to 2, 4, and 6 servings):

Limes (2, 4, 6)
Honey (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 c.)
Ground coriander (1, 2, 3 t.)
Salt (1, 2, 3 t.)
Pepper (1/2, 1, 1 1/2 t.)
Boneless chicken tenderloins (1/2, 1, 1 1/2 lb.)


Zest and juice limes and add all other ingredients. Marinate for at least two hours. Grill or cook on a nonstick pan sprayed with cooking oil. This chicken is bursting with lime flavor - so tasty - one of my favorite recipes on the CD.

No comments: